NBS Smoke Chamber Upgrade
ISO5659-2, BS6401, ASTM E648, IMO FTPC PART 2, NFPA253
The usefulness of the smoke chamber may be extended in several ways. The important revised version, according to ISO 5659 Part 2, can be supplied as part of a new Smoke Chamber or as a retro-fit to all existing Aminco, Newport, Stanton Redcroft, FIRE or Govmark smoke chambers.
This test method has now been adopted by the International Marine Organisation (IMO) and is known as IMO FTPC Part 2.
The Cone Heater Module has been designed for use in the Smoke Density Test. It incorporates the specified truncated cone radiant heater, which is horizontally mounted in the chamber. The specimen is mounted beneath the cone heater also in the horizontal configuration.Download PDF Spec
- New ISO cone and weighing systems can be supplied as direct replacements
- Old Smoke Chambers can also be upgraded with bespoke DAQ and software according to BS 6401, ASTM E662, ISO 5659-2, AITM3.0005 etc
- Stainless steel construction to give maximum corrosion resistance
- Truncated conical heater – horizontally mounted
- Range of heat fluxes from 10 – 50 kW/m2 for extending range of study of material
- Load cell module to enable dynamic measurement of mass loss of sample
- Stainless steel load cell enclosure and ceramic protection plate
- Shutter assembly to protect sample from heater before commencing test
- Heat flux meter with adaptor to mount sensor in correct positions
- Sample holder with backing board
- Pilot burner assembly with auto-ignition
- Utilises existing pilot burner gas and air supplies
- Bulkhead Interface for easy connection to chamber unit (exchange between horizontal and vertical heater may readily be made)
- New state-of-the-art PMT light measurement system, furnaces and radiometers can be supplied as direct replacements
- Independent Control module including:
- Push button control of shutter and burner ignition
- Temperature controller for heater with digital display
- Calibrated control module for load cell with digital display
- Push button for mass measurement zero reset
- Umbilical loom for bulkhead Interface to external side of chamber
- Specialist spares can be supplied for most makes of Smoke Chamber
Electrical: 230 volts AC 50 Hz – Fuse Rating: Anti-Surge 10 amp fuse
Ambient Temp: Operating 10°C to 35°C
Dimensions: Apparatus – 400 mm (W) x 800 mm x (H) x 300 mm (D).
Control module – 400 mm (W) x 500 mm x (H) x 400 mm (D)
Gas Supplies: The preferred pilot burner gas supply is a mixture of Air and Propane. The propane should be supplied at a pressure of 350 mm water gauge and the Air should be supplied at a pressure of 17 m ± 3 m water gauge as detailed in the ISO standard
Water supply: The heat flux meter requires water-cooling. A simple re-circulating pump, water reservoir and connecting pipe-work is adequate.